In-Province Teacher Exchange Program
The In-Province Teacher Exchange Program was initiated to provide a mechanism for teachers to experience new work environments through alternate teaching assignments in different geographical settings. Such work experiences may be beneficial to the professional growth of NSTU members by providing new challenges and opportunities in their teaching careers.
The In-Province Teacher Exchange Program has been in existence since the 1983-1984 school year. The program was negotiated on behalf of teachers between the Nova Scotia Teachers Union and the Department of Education. Official documentation of the program is found in the Teachers' Provincial Agreement, Article 40 "In-Province Teacher Exchange Program."
Click here to access the In-Province Teacher Exchange application form (Word / PDF) or contact the NSTU: 1-800-565-6788 or by email: email@example.com.
Forward the completed form to the NSTU Central Office by January 15 in any school year. Forms should be directed to:
In-Province Teacher Exchange Program
Nova Scotia Teachers Union
3106 Joseph Howe Drive
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3L 4L7
or electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Supervisory Committee made up of representatives from the Nova Scotia Teachers Union and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development is mandated to review all applications and make decisions regarding the status of each application.
Criteria used in the selection of exchanges are as follows: similar teaching positions; similar teaching experiences; similar teaching qualifications; similar extracurricular interests and complementary geographical site selection.
- Exchangees will remain in the employ of their own employer and will continue to have their salaries remitted to them while on exchange.
- Notwithstanding Condition 1 above, exchangees shall acquaint themselves with conditions of employment of the host employer, and shall agree to abide by same. In the event of a disagreement concerning the conditions of employment, the exchangee shall be bound by the decision of the Supervisory Committee.
- The applicant must be genuinely interested, fully intend to accept an exchange if a suitable one is offered, and be able to adapt to conditions in the new environment. The applicant must be able to furnish a medical certificate to the effect that the applicant is in good health and free from any condition likely to impair the applicant’s mental or physical activity as an exchangee.
- Exchangees will be encouraged to exchange living accommodations with their counterparts, but all travel and living accommodation arrangements and costs are solely the responsibility of the exchanging teachers.
- The applicant must agree to return to the employer from which the applicant came for a full year after service in the other employer.
- The term of the exchange shall be one (1) year. Any extension beyond one (1) school year shall be possible only with the approval of the participating employers. The exchange may become permanent with the approval of the two (2) teachers and the consent of the participating employers.
- Exchanges are organized on a position-to-position basis, and the exchange cannot occur without the approval of the two (2) employers concerned.
- The exchangee is guaranteed the exchangee’s original position subject to the provisions of the Local Agreement upon return to the employing employer.
- The exchangee must possess a valid teacher’s certificate.
|January 15||Application Deadline|
|March 10||Target date for notification of successful exchangees|
In the event of any conflict arising between the contents of this page and the Teachers' Provincial Agreement, the Agreement shall prevail.
For further information contact: