Group Insurance for Retired Members
Retirees under age 65
Public School, Community College, APSEA
Retirees under the age of 65 receive a paper copy of the Insurance Profile.
Total Care -- Medical
Under the Teachers' Provincial Agreement and the APSEA Agreement, government pays 100% of the monthly premium of the single plan or family plan.
Under the Community College Agreement, the College pays 100% of the monthly premium of the single plan or family plan.
Hospital Benefits - 100% of semi-private room - no maximum.
Extended Health Benefits - 80% reimbursement for such items as the following (benefit maximums may apply):
- Home nursing care;
- Prosthetic appliances;
- Ostomy equipment;
- Wheelchairs, walkers, hospital beds, mist tent, etc.;
- Out-of-province physician services;
- Accidental dental;
- Hearing aids;
- Diabetic supplies;
- Paramedical services.
Prescription drugs - $5.00 co-pay for each prescription.
Total Care -- Dental
The monthly premium is 100% paid by the member and deducted from the member's Nova Scotia Teachers’ Pension or if in a receipt of a Public Service Superannuation Pension, the member's bank account.
80% reimbursement for such items as the following (benefit maximums may apply):
- oral examinations;
- cleanings, pit and fissure sealants;
- root canal therapy;
- periodontic services;
- denture repairs or relining;
- extraction of teeth.
50% reimbursement for the following major restorative services to a maximum payment of $1,500 per person per calendar year:
- crown restorations;
- inlay and onlay restorations;
- gold fillings when teeth cannot be restored with other material.
Prosthodontic Services - 50% reimbursement to a maximum payment of $1,500 per person per calendar year.
Orthodontic Services - 50% reimbursement to a maximum payment of $2,000 per person lifetime
There is no termination age. This provision was effective January 1, 2010 and is only applicable to those members enrolled in the Total Care Dental Plan at the time of this change.
MEDOC® Travel Plan/Trip Cancellation and Interruption
Out-of-Province/Canada Emergency Medical Insurance Plan.
- Base Plan allows unlimited travel up to a maximum of 35 calendar days per trip.
- Supplemental Plan provides coverage for trips in excess of 35 calendar days.
- Benefits are provided for such eligible expenses as:
- Emergency Medical Expenses;
- Air Emergency Transportation or Evacuation;
- Bedside Transportation;
- Private Nursing Expenses;
- Emergency Dental Expenses;
- Board and Lodging;
- Return of Vehicle.
- CanAssist Travel Assistance Services including a 24-hour emergency help line.